Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes



This weekend is our annual family reunion at my parents house at the Jersey Shore. Our usual dessert maker will be absent for this years festivities, so I decided to take over the task and make cupcakes for dessert. I was all geared up to get baking but then realized I didn't have yellow box cake mix on hand. I thumbed through my binder and came across a recipe for Magnolia Bakery cupcakes that I've had for a few years. I have only made the icing part of the recipe, used on box mix cupcakes, but never tried out the cupcakes. The recipe was a whole lot easier than I thought and they came out great. They smelled amazing and tasted delicious - even without icing! A few things I did notice in comparison to a Duncan Hines or Pillsbury mix is that the cupcakes take longer to cook...almost 20minutes...and they are a lot denser and sweeter than a box mix. That coupled with an icing recipe that is made with eight (yes, eight) cups of powdered sugar and you've got a very sweet treat.


Here is the link for the cupcake recipe from The NY Times. To get the icing recipe, look below the recipe under 'Related Links' and the icing recipe will be there. The recipe calls for eight cups of powdered sugar, but it is give-or-take eight cups. It will be, and should be, very thick so just go with the thickness you prefer.

Comments

Popular Posts