Paste Makes Waste

Have you ever used tomato paste in a recipe and ended up with most of it leftover and wished it didn't have to go to waste? Sure, there are ways to save it by freezing it into tablespoon-sized portions by using a ice cube tray, then putting them into a plastic bag once they're frozen and then back in the freezer, but that is, well, a bit of a pain. In an issue of Food Network magazine in the 'Hot Tips' section they touted the reasons to use tomato paste in a tube. You can use just a small amount for a recipe and since the tube is airtight and can be resealed, it will keep in the refrigerator for a long time and there will be no need to defrost those little ice cubes of tomato paste! I picked up this tube of Amore brand tomato paste at my local supermarket. They have other kinds like herb and garlic pastes as well. So unless I have a recipe that calls for a whole can of paste, I'll be reaching for the tube from now on...like in tonight's chili recipe!  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Comments

  1. Cindy - Your Aunt Eleanor connected me to your blog and I think it is great. I, too, just got hooked on Amore tomato paste as well as their anchovy paste. My family loves Rachael Ray's "The Devil Shrimp". It calls for 3 anchovies. Once you open the can and use what the receipe calls for you still have almost an entire can left. Now I use the anchovey paste and there is no waste or smell in the frig. Keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts