Valentine Treats

These are homemade buckeye candies: peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. They are named after the shiny, dark nuts of the Buckeye tree - the official state tree of Ohio.

Normally, buckeyes are not completely covered in chocolate, but left with the top undipped so that it resembles a buckeye nut. But it's Valentine's Day and I was feeling fancy.

After making the buckeyes, I melted some red colored Wilton melting chocolate in a decorating bag so that I could make my designs. The sprinkles were put on before the chocolate hardened after dipping, whereas on the others I waited to decorate with the red melted chocolate until after the chocolate hardened. Here is the recipe...Enjoy!

Buckeyes (makes about 3 dozen)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.

Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.

Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

Comments

  1. Cindy, I had no idea that you blogged! Never mind that you are a foodie! I too blog - about my kiddos. I think I will link your blog to my page so I can check in on the latest and greatest things from your kitchen. I hope you are well. Wishing you all the best in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts