Egg Noggin'

Well, I've come out of my Thanksgiving turkey coma and it's full stream ahead with Christmas! I can't believe it is already December!

We started the Christmas decorating early this year and while decorating I whipped us up some homemade egg nog. I grew up enjoying this holiday drink at Christmas and can't bear to drink the store bought stuff. This recipe is light and creamy, but not too sweet or heavy. Since this recipe does use raw eggs, I feel I need to put in a disclaimer here: use fresh, clean eggs; don't drink this if you're pregnant or have a compromised immune system. In all the years I have drank this, I've never gotten sick...maybe the booze in it helped kill any bacteria! I made a half-batch since it was just us two and added about 3 ounces (shots) of Makers Mark and that was just the right amount.

Homemade Egg Nog

6 eggs, separated
Sugar, total of 3/4 cup
1 pint light cream
1 pint whole milk
Nutmeg
3 to 6 ounces Bourbon, like Makers Mark (optional)


In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy and form peaks. Once they are whipped enough, add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and add 1/4 cup sugar.***Beat the egg whites first. Mixing egg yolks into the whites will not allow them to get whipped***

Add the beaten egg yolks into the larger bowl with the egg whites. Then pour in the milk and the cream and gently mix everything together. Add the whisky, if using, and mix well.   Pour into mugs and sprinkle with some nutmeg and serve.





Comments

Popular Posts